First dates can be awkward – you never know where to go, what to talk about, or what kinds of questions to ask someone you’ve just met to learn more about them. That’s why we put together this list of 200 first date questions to help you get the conversation started and keep it going through the night!
Whether you’re new to dating or an old pro, these questions will help you figure out whether or not you want to see this person again without making it seem like you want to see them again!
First Date Questions You Should be Asking Your Potential Partner
It is vital to know your potential partner. Everyone wants to get on well with their partner and stay in love for a long time but how will you know if it works if you don’t really know anything about them?
It is also essential that you make your date comfortable. So, ask these questions and find out more about your date. Who knows, you might be surprised by what they say!
And don’t forget to answer all of their questions too. This way you can build up trust and let your date know who you are as a person, which is important when getting to know someone new.
- What do you like most about yourself? (And why?)
- What is your favorite book/movie/song/food? Why do you like it so much?
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
- What is one thing people would never guess about you from meeting or seeing you for just five minutes?
- Would you rather go skydiving or bungee jumping?
- What’s your dream job?
- If you had $1 million dollars, what would you spend it on?
- Where do you see yourself in ten years’ time?
- How many siblings do you have and what are their names?
- Your favorite non-alcoholic and alcoholic drink?
- Do you want children someday and if so, how many kids do you want to have?
- If you were stranded on a desert island and could only bring three things with you, what would they be?
- What is your biggest fear?
- What’s Your Favorite Place on Earth?
- Are there any habits or quirks that drive you crazy when other people do them around you?
- What was your favorite subject at school and why did you enjoy it so much?
- What are you best known for in your family?
- What is something that people are always surprised to learn about you?
- Do you have any hobbies outside of work/school etc.?
- What makes you laugh?
- What is your greatest strength?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- What’s the Most Embarrassing Thing You Can Remember That’s Happened to You?
- If you could tell everyone in the world one thing, what would it be?
- What kind of music do you listen to most often?
- Are you currently single or taken (or somewhere in between)?
- What qualities do you look for in a friend?
- What is the riskiest adventure you have been on?
- What is the aspect of dating that you hate the most?
- What qualities do you look for in a romantic partner?
- In a new relationship, what is one thing you are dying to try?
- What country would you never like to visit?
- Tell me something I don’t already know about you.
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- Have you ever been arrested before and if so, what happened?
- What types of music do you enjoy listening to?
- Have you ever broken someone else’s heart before and if so, how did it happen and how did they react to it?
- What is your ideal first date?
- What do you think is the best age to get married?
- What are some things that turn you off completely during the first encounter with someone?
- What’s Something That Bugs You?
- If we went on a second date, where would you take me and what would we do together?
- What are two of the things you are proud of in life?
- Do you have any tattoos? If so, what’s the meaning behind it?
- What are the top 3 movies you’ve watched?
- What do you usually like to do in your free time?
- What is the title of the last book you read?
- Do you prefer indoor or outdoor dates?
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
- What city did you grow up in?
Funny First Date Questions That Will Make You Both Laugh
You might be having a great time on your first date, but it’s easy to let a lull in the conversation come up. Luckily, we’ve got tons of funny first date questions to keep you entertained!
Make sure you aren’t one of those people that falls completely silent on a first date and pull out these funny questions to ask your guy. They are sure to get his attention and help break that awkward silence when you need it most.
- What was the funniest injury you’ve ever suffered?
- What are some of your worst nicknames?
- If you could change anything about yourself what would it be?
- What’s the grossest food thing you’ve ever done?
- What are your funniest moments in life?
- What do you think I should do with my life? If I were an animal, what kind of animal would I be and why?
- If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
- If you were an amateur wrestler/D-List superhero, what would your name be?
- If I were a vegetable or fruit, what kind would I be and why?
- What is your favorite guilty-pleasure show on TV?
- Have you ever been stung by a bee or bitten by another insect before?
- Why do banks have branches if money doesn’t grow on trees?
- What was the first R-rated movie you ever saw? Who took you?
- What is the weirdest place you’ve ever been?
- Why is there a light in the fridge if we shouldn’t eat at night?
- What is your least favorite chore to do around the house?
- What was something you believed as a kid for way too long?
- What’s the funniest dream you’ve ever had?
- What’s the most ridiculous thing you’ve ever done in the name of love?
- What’s the worst joke you’ve ever had?
- What was your favorite subject in school growing up?
- Have you ever drunk texted someone and later regretted it?
- What’s the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever looked up on Google?
- What’s a word you pronounced wrong your whole life?
- Who’s your favorite stand-up comedian?
- Which cartoon character do you think you most resemble?
- What’s the stupidest lie you ever told as a kid?
- What accent can you mimic?
- Have you ever been sensually attracted to a cartoon character?
- How many donuts can you stuff into your mouth at the same time?
- What’s one thing that looks funny about me?
- Have you set up a hidden code with a friend to get out of this date if things go wrong?
- What was your worst job and why?
- Why did Cinderella’s shoe fall off if it fit perfectly?
- If someone only saw your Spotify or Netflix accounts, who would they think you are?
- What was the worst middle school fashion trend you participated in?
- Have you ever texted a complete stranger just for fun?
- What is the weirdest thing about you that most people wouldn’t guess from looking at you?
- Would you rather be TikTok famous or win a grammy?
- What’s the best WiFi name you’ve seen?
Flirty First Date Questions That Show Interest
Flirting is always a good idea on a first date. Flirting shows that you’re confident, in control, and fun to be around. If you’re both interested in each other, flirting can lead to some serious sparks—or at least lots of text messages after your date!
Here are a few flirty questions to ask him on your first date. They’ll help keep things moving smoothly, give you a chance to flirt, and show him how much fun you are. Try them out on your next first date. You never know where they might lead!
1. What do you find attractive about me?
It may seem forward, but if he asks what you like about him it gives you an opportunity to talk about his qualities without sounding too cheesy or obvious. It also allows for an interesting conversation topic that makes it easy for you to compliment one another. You might even learn something new about each other in the process.
2. Do you think I’m funny?
This question is a great way to get a sense of how he feels about your sense of humor and how comfortable he is around you. If he says yes, ask him why!
Maybe there’s a specific joke or story that made him laugh so hard he couldn’t stop thinking about it for days. Or maybe you have a hilarious personality trait that he loves.
Whatever it is, getting a good answer to this question will give you some insight into whether or not he finds you attractive as well as whether or not he likes being around you.
3. How are you still single?
Okay, now we’re really flirting. This question gets right to the heart of things—he either has no idea why he hasn’t found someone yet or has had trouble finding someone who meets his standards. Either way, it opens up a conversation where you can discuss what he’s looking for in a partner (and possibly show off how much you match up).
4. Did you inherit your good looks from your mom or dad?
This question is a great way to learn more about his family and get him talking about himself. It’s also a great way to subtly compliment him on his appearance.
If he says that he got his good looks from his mother, you can say I knew it! You look just like her! If he says that he got them from his father, you can say So does your father!
5. How easily do you get turned on?
This question is a little bit more intimate than some of our other flirty first date questions, but it’s also a great way to get him talking about what he likes in bed. If he says something like I don’t know, I’m pretty easy to turn on, ask him what turns him on.
6. What’s the cheesiest pickup line you have ever used or heard of?
This question is a great way to see if he has any sense of humor and if he can laugh at himself. It also gives you an opportunity to share your own cheesy lines with him, which will make it clear that you aren’t trying to be serious all night. Plus, it shows that you are comfortable enough with yourself to joke around a little bit. He will love that!
7. Wanna go somewhere quiet?
8. What’s your wildest fantasy?
9. What’s your type?
10. Do you believe in love at first sight?
11. How would you react if I tell you that I like you?
12. Would you like to go out with me again?
13. What’s behind that beautiful smile of yours?
14. What’s your biggest turn-on?
15. Do you think you could fall in love today?
16. Is it too soon to tell you how great it feels being around you?
17. What would it take to know you more?
18. Do you prefer cuddling or kissing?
19. How much longer will it take you to notice me noticing you?
20. You know you’re the most beautiful person in the room, right?
21. Do you want to know a secret?
22. What is your favorite pet name?
23. Do you have plans for the rest of your life? Or should I help you make them?
24. What kind of hugs do you like most?
25. Will you swipe right on me again?
Deep First Date Questions That Help You Get Closer
What’s something you’ve always wanted to try but have never gotten around to? If you could go anywhere right now where would it be? Is there anything that really scares you? How has your life turned out differently than what you expected as a child?
These are just some of many deep first date questions to ask him when you meet up. You can choose from any of these questions or come up with your own based on how well you think you know each other. You may even want to write them down so that they don’t slip your mind.
While talking about yourself is important, asking questions is also an important part of making a good impression. It shows that you’re interested in getting to know someone and not just using them for their body or money.
It also helps keep conversations going and makes people feel more comfortable talking about themselves, which will lead to more meaningful connections and better relationships in general.
So, if you plan on having another date with someone after yours, make sure you take advantage of all these great first date questions!
And even if you don’t, who knows? Maybe one day you’ll end up being friends with one of your dates! Here are some deep first date questions to help you get closer to your date!
- What is the smallest decision that has had a great impact on your life?
- Would you rather vacation in Mexico or Alaska, and why?
- Who is the most fascinating person you’ve met?
- What has been the best year of your life so far?
- What is your favorite book to read?
- What would be your dream job?
- If you knew you were going to die in 6 months, what would you change in your life?
- What is your biggest fear?
- What would your perfect vacation look like?
- When was the greatest turning point in your life?
- Do you think money can buy happiness?
- If you could choose to do anything for a day, what would it be?
- What is the most beautiful view you’ve seen?
- When was the greatest turning point in your life?
- What is the best gift you have been given?
- What is your love language?
- What’s expensive but totally worth it?
- What do you love but are embarrassed to ever admit?
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
- What’s the most essential part of a friendship?
- Do you think a relationship can come back from cheating?
- Which friendship has had the greatest impact on your life?
- What is the worst gift you have received?
- What are your top 3 favorite things to talk about?
- What do you value most between love and loyalty?
- What is your happiest childhood memory?
- What are you most thankful for?
- Who besides your parents taught you the most about life?
- What is the scariest thing that has happened to you?
- What do you think of best friends of the opposite gender?
- How much social interaction is too much?
- What weird talent or skill do you have?
- What do you want out of life?
- How do you feel about sharing your password with your partner?
- What’s your favorite quote or saying?
- If we met 10 years ago, or 10 years in the future do you think we would have clicked?
- Is flirting cheating?
- What’s your “and then it got worse” story?
- What weird smell do you really enjoy?
- Do you have any phobias? (Spiders, heights, germs, etc.)
Good First Date Questions To Create Chemistry And Build Connection
Chemistry is essential for a good date—but it’s not exactly something you can make happen. That said, there are ways to build chemistry with someone you like, and some of them even involve talking! Here are some great questions to ask him on a first date to get things flowing naturally.
1. What do you love most about your job?
If he seems excited about his work, chances are he’ll be excited about being in a relationship too. It doesn’t hurt that asking him about his work gives you insight into what he likes doing and what he has going for himself already.
2. What was your favorite book as a child?
This question will tell you a lot about his values and personality.
3. What would your friends say is your best quality?
This one lets him brag a little bit, which everyone loves to do (even if they don’t always admit it).
4. Do you have any weird habits or hobbies?
This question opens up an opportunity for both of you to share fun facts about yourselves while also getting an idea of how much time they spend thinking outside of their day-to-day life.
5. Where did you grow up?
Where did you go to school? These two questions give you a sense of where he comes from and where he sees himself going.
6. What are three words that describe your ideal mate?
Even though these words may change over time, knowing what they were when he was younger will give you insight into who he is now.
7. What makes you laugh out loud?
Everyone has at least one funny story that gets them every time.
8. What’s your biggest fear?
Everyone has fears, and by asking him about his biggest fear, you let him know that you care enough to want to know more about him than just surface-level stuff.
9. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
This question shows you how organized he is and whether or not he’s likely to be late.
10. Would you rather live in a big city or a small town?
This will help you figure out whether or not he prefers urban settings, which could affect how well your relationship works if one of you ends up relocating later on down the road.
11. Have you ever trusted your boyfriend to buy clothes for you?
12. Did you play any sports growing up or do you play any now?
13. If you could pick a theme song to play any time you enter a room, what would it be and why?
14. How do you like to spend your weekends?
15. What’s the wildest thing you’ve ever done?
Juicy First Date Questions About Future Plans
Where do you see yourself in five years? and What are your long-term goals? These types of questions can be a little too serious for a first date, but asking about a potential partner’s future can provide some great insights into their aspirations.
They also give you an idea of whether or not you two are on similar paths and will help determine if there’s a true match (or any hope of one).
If he says he wants to travel around South America with his dog, that’s probably not going to work out. But if he says he wants to start his own business and is already working toward that goal—that could bode well for your relationship.
Of course, it’s important to note that these kinds of questions aren’t only reserved for women; men should ask them as well!
Asking where she sees herself in five years shows her you’re interested in more than just getting laid. It shows her you want something real and long-lasting.
And yes, these questions might seem like they’re moving things along quickly but remember: A good first date shouldn’t end after dinner and drinks. You still have time to get to know each other better over coffee at home or while walking through Central Park.
1. What are you looking for in a serious relationship?
2. Where do you want to be in five years?
3. How do you envision yourself spending your senior years?
4. What about the future excites you most?
5. What about the future concerns you most?
6. Kids – yes or no? How many children do you think you’d want to have when you’re ready?
7. Is there anywhere in the world you haven’t seen yet that you’d like to?
8. Do you ever think about having kids?
9. Do you think you’d be the kind of person who would be happy to settle down or is that something that doesn’t fully appeal to you?
10. Is there anything you hope to do more of in the future?
11. What’s something you’d like to get better at in the future?
12. What’s on your bucket list?
13. Where do you see yourself living 10 years from now?
14. What’s your opinion on marriage?
15. Where would you like to settle down in the future?
Awkward First Date Questions To Avoid
There are a few first date questions that can really ruin a night out. If you’re worried about asking too many weird questions on your first date, there are plenty of awkward first date questions to avoid.
These questions will either make your date feel uncomfortable or force them to answer in a way they don’t want to. Instead of bringing up these topics, focus on conversation starters that will bring you closer together and help get to know each other better.
Questions to Avoid On A First Date: It’s important to ask good questions on a first date so you can learn more about who your potential partner is, but it’s also important not to cross any boundaries or seem too intense.
Don’t ask any personal questions right off the bat because it might scare away your potential love interest. Also, steer clear of heavy-duty relationship talk early on; let things unfold naturally instead of forcing anything. Here are some examples of questions to avoid on a first date:
1. What was your last relationship like?
2. How many partners have you had?
3. How long have you been single?
4. Have you ever cheated before?
5. Why did your last relationship end?
6. Why are you single?
7. How long have you been using X dating app?
8. Do you think your parents will like me?
9. What’s your favorite position?
10. Do you always wear this much makeup?
11. You’re Not Crazy, Are You?
12. Where Do You See This Relationship Going?
13. Do You Like My Outfit?
14. Do You Drink A Lot? Because I Do.
15. How much money do you make?
Final Thoughts On First Date Questions
Asking good questions on a first date is important for maintaining an engaging conversation. But what kinds of questions do you ask? We’ve already discussed some great first date questions to get your creative juices flowing.
Whether you’re asking funny, flirty, deep, or good questions, we’ve already got them all right here! If you want more tips on how to impress him on a first date, check out our other articles: 10 Qualities Of A Good Girlfriend You Should Have and 30 Traits A Man Wants In His Woman.
We hope you’ve enjoyed our round-up of professional writing prompts. We’ll be adding more in the future, so check back soon. If you have any suggestions for topics we should cover, please leave a comment below and we’ll get to work on creating a post around it! Ciao!
Please Pin This For Later!